Sunday, August 23, 2009

Weight Management & Celiac Disease

Celiac disease is this gluten allergy that you're hearing so much about today.  Celiac disease can cause weight gain and weight loss depending on a number of factors.  There's a myth in the Celiac community that if you stop eating wheat, barley, rye and their by-products - you will lose weight.  One book I recently read had a section titled 'gluten free and thin as can be'.  Total bulls*it!  This may be true for others but not for me.  The only thing that has worked for me is LOTS of exercise, counting calories/portion control.

The one thing that celiac disease HAS done for me is reduced the temptation.  I am no longer tempted by cakes, pies and the like.  The gluten free equivalents don't taste nearly as tempting as the real deal.  For this, I am grateful. There isn't a cookie made that is worth three days of sheer agony of my body trying to digest it.


No comments:

Post a Comment