Sunday, August 30, 2009

Weight Loss & The Family Visit

It's difficult to maintain any sensible eating program from the time the phone rings and you hear family is coming, until a week after they've left. I've been to University, travelled throughout the world, read numerous nutrition books but when your mother comes - all that knowledge goes out the window and your 6 years old again and being told to finish your plate. What I'm learning from this visit is that unhealthy eating habits are as shared as the DNA you have in your body. We learn how to manage food from our families. We imitate our parents because we love them.

I understand the pattern. I get the fact that what I learned growing up around food is ALL WRONG!

  • Every meal does not have to be a culinary delight
  • You should not eat until you are overstuffed and full
  • Eating foods in their natural state is important
  • You will not outgrow being overweight (keep in mind I'm 41)
Even with all this knowledge, I am still struggling with the patterns that I learned as a child. The good news is the visit is 1/2 over and I have not succumbed to temptation - but it's 10x harder.

By the way, I'm down 15 Ibs. today!

YEAH!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment